I always start by looking at the broken area and decide on how I
want to make the initial cut to remove the damaged area.
I've done this quite a few
times but decided to take a few pictures this time on the
process I go through to replace a horn.
I wished I'd start taken pictures before I partially cut the
top horn off.
This one was pretty easy to
decide on a cut as the break on the end of the top horn
wasn't too bad. I wanted to keep all the original wheat
carving intact so I angled the cut upward slightly. This
makes it possible to use a small block plane to true up the
cut edge. Sometimes, if the cut has to come in lower, a
chisel with wood guides on each side of the handle are used
to true up the cut edge.
I added a piece of apple from
an old handle. I'm lucky to have a box full of old apple
from donor handles that were broken beyond repair. I'd
rather use the old apple but sometimes that isn't possible
and I have to use new.
Here's the part of the horn
that was damaged. The damage wasn't too bad but this handle
deserved to be fixed as the rest was in good shape. It's a
No.12 which doesn't hurt either.
I'm fortunate to have enough
examples of saws that I can use them as a tracing pattern.
I try to find a chunk that's just a
little thicker than the handle I'm working on. Again the
edge was planed with a block plane to make a nice glue
The handle had been soaked in my bucket of lacquer thinner,
then scrubbed with scotchbrite and a tooth brush. I won't
sand except for around the repair area. My preference is not
to strip the handle at all but sometimes I feel it's
I used Franklin's Titebond to glue the joint up and a
rubber band for a little pressure.
Darker piece of apple looks a
little strange right now doesn't it...